People in Fylde and Wyre can take advantage of an ‘amazing’ opportunity to book GP appointments and order repeat prescriptions without picking up the phone or leaving their house.
Patient Access is available at surgeries across Fylde and Wyre to help people better manage their health. Patients can book appointments and request repeat prescriptions via their computer, smartphone or tablet at a time that suits them, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Gemma Jackson, of Stockdove Wood, Cleveleys, regularly uses the online Patient Access service. She said: “Being able to book my doctor appointment and order my repeat prescription online is so convenient and saves both myself and my GP time.”
Patients who require repeat prescriptions can request these from the comfort of their own home, rather than venturing out in the cold or wet weather to drop their request off at the surgery.
They can also review which medication they should be taking, the dosage and when it should be taken, helping to improve understanding of their medication.
Gemma, a patient at The Thornton Practice, added: ”Having a 24/7 online facility means I can do things in my own time and not have to rely on being able to get through on phone lines within the day. It really is amazing.
“I can book a non-urgent GP appointment, usually with my preferred GP, and order my repeat prescription to be delivered to my pharmacy all from the comfort of my own home.”[caption id="attachment_5300" align="aligncenter" width="331"] Thornton patient Gemma Jackson using Patient Access[/caption]
Dr Adam Janjua, a GP at Fleetwood Surgery and vice chair of NHS Fylde and Wyre Clinical Commissioning Group, said: “Patient Access is made up of several components; booking appointments, ordering repeat prescriptions and access to medical records.
“It also allows patients to send their GP short direct messages about their medication and results and, if enabled, the system allows patients to see their test results online.
“This service frees up practice phone lines for emergencies and patients that have more urgent requirements.
“The ordering repeat prescriptions facility means the patient can order exactly what they require which means less waste and safer, more accurate ordering.”
To register for Patient Access patients need to fill out a form at their surgery. For more information, visit www.nhs.uk/GPonlineservices
- NHS Fylde and Wyre Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) is the organisation responsible for planning and buying health services in the area to meet patients’ needs. This is known as ‘commissioning’.
- Led by family doctors (GPs), the CCG currently serves a population of 152,000 people across approximately 320 sq km of coast and countryside. The majority live in the urban towns of Fleetwood, Thornton, Poulton-le-Fylde, Kirkham and Lytham St Annes, but a significant proportion live in rural villages.
- The CCG receives a set amount of money from the government and is committed to spending this wisely for the benefit of local people.
- Giving you more choice is a priority of the modern NHS. More information is available at fyldeandwyreccg.nhs.uk/choice
- The NHS Constitution sets out your rights as an NHS patient: nhs.uk/choiceintheNHS/Rightsandpledges/NHSConstitution/Pages/Overview.aspx
- There are many ways to get involved in health service developments, including joining our Influence membership scheme or your practice’s patient participation group.